"The love of beauty is taste, the creation of beauty is art"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, August 1, 2011

Self-indulgent... maybe.



When I left the consulting world to become a full time painter, I did worry a bit about my contribution to the world. In my family, one is always suppose to use their talents to improve the world in some way and here I was leaving what I had trained twenty years to do. ( I use to work with non profit hospitals to help improve their capability to meet demand for their services). I wondered how is spending the day thinking about what I want to say going to help anyone else, I wondered, am I being self indulgent, self centered and narcissistic to focus inward instead of outward? Wrestling with this very concept I came full circle this year.

I have found a way to meet both my philanthropic needs and my need to feel that I am contributing to the world. We are in the eighth month of 2011 and to date my works of art have helped raise over $12,000 for non profits around the Atlanta area. I am thrilled beyond belief that my works of art have had that large scale of an impact for the charities I care about. Some of the groups I have worked with are The Trinity School, Wesleyan School, Tanner Medical Foundation, Cobb Museum of Fine Art , Briarlake Elementary School and coming up this fall Atlanta Hospice and the Charity Guild of the Country Club of the South.

Here are a few of the pieces that have helped the most!





No comments:

Post a Comment